The Ring Road
This trail will take you along the first ring road, around the hill where the historic city centre is situated. The modern ring road was designed after 1895, when former fortress land was transferred to the city. Along the road, mainly public buildings such as offices, religious buildings, or tenement houses can be found.
The Modern Old Town
The oldest surviving part of the city – the old town, situated on a hill between the Elbe and the Orlice Rivers – underwent a major transformation in the 20th century as well. Soon after 1900, historic buildings started to be replaced with new and taller houses, which served both as accommodation and as the seats of important institutions, savings banks, credit unions, and new churches.
The River Trail
This trail runs along the Orlice River and the banks of the Elbe River. It includes three power plants, the school complex designed by Josef Gočár, the Labská kotlina housing estate, the municipal house and museum designed by Jan Kotěra, the bank and credit union designed by Jan Rejchl, and the functionalist baths. The trail ends with a scenic outing along the Elbe River through the borough of Plácky to the village of Předměřice.
This trail leads from Tyrš Bridge designed by Josef Gočár along the impressive Karla IV Street to Prague Suburbs, formerly a commercial and industrial district. This area included impressive villas, a civic house, a new modern Catholic church, a railway station, as well as a cooperative dairy, and a complex of buildings owned by a bakers’ cooperative.
The Grand Villa Trail
After 1908, another residential district on the border between Hradec Králové and Prague Suburbs was built behind today’s Střelecká Street. The trail takes in the rich diversity of residential architecture in Hradec Králové in Střelecká, Vrchlického and Čechova Streets with a turn to the borough of Farářství, situated behind two functionalist villas.
The Republic Salon
After 1895, the first projects were designed of completely new blocks of houses, streets and squares on the right bank of the Elbe River behind Prague Bridge. Some of the most significant ones included buildings in Švehlova Street and Masarykovo náměstí Square. After 1925, Ulrichovo náměstí Square and the Church of Priest Ambrož designed by Josef Gočár and Josef Havlíček were built.